Friday, February 10, 2012

What can cause hair loss in felines?

Hair loss in Cats - causes?


I have a long haired, black cat who is 6 years old. When she sheds, it often comes out in clumps. I just always thought this was how she sheds. A lot of her shedding comes from the neck area. You can usually tell what hair is coming out because it has a different color (more grey) and texture. This morning I was petting here and when I pet her neck, I moved the fur and noticed for the first time a large half-dollar sized bald spot on her neck. The skin is not red or irritated or seem to be bothering her in any way. Should I be concerned? She's been on revolution (flea and mite treatment) for almost a year now, but where I apply it is not where the bald spot is.





She does suffer from facial alopecia between her eyes and


ears, which is common in dark haired cats, but it's not severe.





Any help you can give is appreciated - I'm worried!What can cause hair loss in felines?
Stress, poor diet, and illness all cause hair loss in cats. Have the vet check her out so you can find the cause and treat it.

No comments:

Post a Comment